3. From Rome: Pompeii and Sorrento Day Trip with Guided Tour
This private day trip from Rome to Pompeii will start with a private pick-up at your hotel or apartment in Rome. A professional driver will transfer you in a comfortable Mercedes sedan/minivan to the archaeological park of Pompeii. Here you will meet your friendly and knowledgeable guide who will take you on a private tour of the highlights of Pompeii, a UNESCO listed site and one of the most impressive archaeological sites in the world.
In Pompeii you will see the most important spots of this ancient city like:
- Casa del Fauno, one of the biggest and most spectacular private homes in Pompeii
- Anfiteatro Romano, an impressive Roman theater which is one century older than the Colosseum
- Lupanar, the ancient brothel, one of many in town, it has the walls frescoed with erotic scenes (just ask the guide to skip this particular site in case there are children or you do not feel comfortable)
- Tempio di Giove Capitolino, dedicated to Jupiter, it was one of the most important temples in ancient Roman cities
- Teatro Grande, the great theater, impressive for its dimension and really makes you wonder about the life of the people who lived in the city 2,000 years ago. It is still used nowadays for shows
- Stabian Baths (Terme Stabiane), one of the various thermal baths of the city. This structure is impressive for its architecture and engineering and offers a great example of what had been the life of the ancient Romans
After the visit to Pompeii you will say goodbye to your guide and your driver will take you to Sorrento. You will have about two hours of free time to explore and have lunch in this lovely seatown (lunch is not included in the price, but your driver will be happy to give you some suggestions and book a table for you). If you are interested in art, in Sorrento you may visit the ancient Cloister of San Francesco and the Basilica di Sant'Antonino. Or just relax and enjoy the view of the sea at the quaint port of Marina Grande.
At the end of the day your private driver will take you back to your hotel or apartment in Rome.
Please note that Pompeii can be very hot in summer time. We recommend having a hat, sunscreen and wearing comfortable walking shoes.